A lot has happened this week so I decided to combine it all into one post so I don't have to write four more.
Day 11 Tuesday: When I got to school we found out that there had been a fire over the weekend. Luckily the fire department came and put it out. They had to break the glass on the doors to get in. It was in the art room and that whole hallway smelled like smoke. It was lucky that the art room was all that was damaged.
In the Adult Roles class since it was my first day, the teacher taught the first period and I taught the third period. It was a lesson about Love and Infatuation. The students wrote on a paper heart their definitions of love which I was very impressed with. High Schoolers think I lot deeper on the topic of love then I thought. We talked about the different kinds of love also and I showed movie clips of the different kinds. They really liked the movie clips. All in all it was fun.
Day 12 Wednesday: Today I taught in the Fashion Strategies class. I was doing a lesson on embellishing and recycling clothing. I talked about all of the different ways you can change clothes and then I showed some examples. I added sequins to jean pockets, ribbon to jeans, buttons to a shirt, etc. I think they liked getting a few ideas. The rest of the period I had them working on embellishing their own clothing. When they were up getting their supplies it was the most chaotic time and my supervisor from BYU walked in the door. I was already done with my lesson part so I explained to her that they were just working on a project. She just watched as I interacted with the students. On her comments she said that the students respond well to me. I took that as a compliment and I feel good that the students get along with me. I just wished she would have come during my lesson.
Day 13 Thursday: This was the day that I was worried about. The day that I would teach the topic of STD's to High School students in the Adult Roles class. At the beginning of class I had them do their quiz, quote, etc. Then I had a plan on how to introduce STD's. While they were taking their quiz, I put Glo-germ powder on my hand. I got up in front of the class and said, one of the most important things in dating is to be able to introduce yourself to others. It is also very important when you meet the parents to give a firm handshake. Then I went around and introduced myself to 3 students and told them to introduce themselves to eachother. Little did they know but they were spreading the Glo-germ powder along. After a few minutes I said you didn't know this but I had an STD on my hands and I just spread it to all of you. They all were like gross, disgusting. I said I want to see who was infected by this STD. I brought up a black light and they all came up and saw the powder under the light that had gotten on their hands. There was one student before class that I told not to shake anyone's hand so she was the only one not infected. I said the only person that wasn't infected in class was ___________. This is because this student practiced abstinence. That is the only way you can avoid STD's. Anyways...they liked that object lesson and then I just continued on with the lesson. I'm proud of myself because my face didn't even turn red once.
Day 14 Friday: I taught in Fashion Strategies. They continued on their embellishing project and we talked about vocabulary, etc. There was a lockdown drill which was kind of scary to me. I hope I don't have to be in a real lockdown---that would scare me. I'm always glad on Fridays because it means I have a few days to have a break before starting again the next week.
It was an overall good week. Teaching is becoming more enjoyable. It is rewarding at times and very tough at times. I guess it's kind of like being a parent--sometimes your kids are good, sometimes bad.
Are you coming up with all these great ideas on your own? I'm so impressed. Do you have lesson guidelines and then you just add your own spin, or what guidance do you get to know what to do? I've never been a teacher so I'm curious.
ReplyDeleteAnd a "lockdown drill"?!? That is so different than life at DHS, huh? We used to do earthquake drills in elementary school, but growing up in K-town, I never even considered a shooting at school. The world is changing.
Great job teaching, Ash. And you'll be a great parent, too.
There are standards and objectives that you have to teach in your lessons. It's just basically an outline of topics and then you decide how you will do it. I come up with most of the activities but some ideas I borrow from the teachers I work with.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment!
Hey you two! I stumbled on your blog today while blog stalking and just wanted to say hi! I don't know if you'll remember me Ashley, but I know Scott will. I hope you don't mind if I see what you two are up to every once in awhile! If you'd like me to add you to my blog, just email me at emilyrose_811@yahoo.com. You two look so happy together, and I'm so happy for you!
ReplyDelete