The other day I was teaching the 7th graders. They were working on an assignment to redesign a menu. They were all working fine until it got to 5th period... There were two students in my class that decided that they didn't want to do anything.
I walked over to their desk and told them to get to work. They replied saying, "I don't have to do this, all I need is a D- in this class." I didn't know how to respond because what can you do when your students don't care about their grades. I proceeded to ignore their comment and walked around the room to them. I stood by their desks again and told them again to work on their assignment. They again basically told me that they didn't care. Keep in mind that this was my first day teaching the 7th graders and there was also a substitute in the room. I wasn't sure what other consequence I could give them since they weren't motivated by grades. I proceeded to tell them as it got to the end of class, "boys, we will talk about this on Monday."
When Monday came, my cooperating teacher was back. I talked to her to find out what to do. We talked about it and made a decision. When my students came in for 5th period that day I was going to demonstrate to them how to make smoothies. I told the other students to go into the kitchen but had the two boys stay behind.
I decided I wanted them to do a lot of the talking so I just said calmly, "Why did you have to stay behind?" They explained to me that they were not very nice last time and didn't do their work. I asked them if it would be fair if they were able to participate in the smoothie lab next time. They said no. I proceeded to tell them that they could watch in the demonstration but they would be working on the assignment they didn't do during the lab next time. They agreed and the next day I had to enforce it.
At the end of school after I had told them the consequence I saw one of the boys in the hallway. He yelled to me, "Why can't I make smoothies?" I answered saying, "You know why..." Then he said, "Why can't you be nice?" I was so close to saying, "Why can't you?" but I didn't stoop to his level I just kept on walking.
Discipline is really hard for me to do! One of the boys came to class the next day and I had him work on the assignment. Of course the other boy was sluffing and didn't show up so the next day he was in In School Detention (not my rule, the school's rule).
Teaching is so much fun! Disciplining just puts a damper on things... Too bad all students can't be little angels...
It sounds like you handled it very well. You are learning how to be a professional. Good Job.
ReplyDelete