Sunday, March 15, 2009

This week in Junior High...

This has been a very busy week teaching!

Monday: I taught about natural and refined sugars. To show them how much sugar is in different foods I measured it all out into plastic bags so they could see. I also measured out how much sugar you would consume if you had a can of soda everyday for a week, and also a month. They were amazed at how much sugar they were consuming.

Tuesday: I did a Jeopardy Test Review. I made a PowerPoint for the Jeopardy game. They had a lot of fun answering the questions. Games are a lot more work than just teaching a lesson. Students don't realize that games are not that much fun for the teacher---it's more work on our part! So according to my students when asked what a sifter does, if you didn't know.... it sifts! That made me laugh, that was the only way they could explain it.

Wednesday: They took a test! Which made a very easy day for me except I had to grade them all afterwards. Grading takes a long time!

Thursday: I started talking about Protein. I showed a PowerPoint that I made. Then in the 9th grade class I had them cut out food out of magazines that had protein and glued them on paper plates. They had to make a plate that was using complete proteins and one using incomplete proteins. In the 8th grade class I had different foods printed on squares on a piece of paper. They cut them out and matched them up with a plant source of protein and an animal source of protein making them complete.

Friday: Today was Protein Activity Day! For both 8th and 9th grade I had a bunch of words about protein scrambled. I made it a competition divided into 4 teams. Each team had a marker and when they knew one of the words that was scrambled they would run up and write it on the board. I gave the winning team some candy. They got really into this. Then for the 8th grade I played the fly swatter game where you write a bunch of words all over the board. Then you give each team a fly swatter. You read out questions and they have to hit their answer with the fly swatter. For the 9th graders I played a basketball game. On their turn they got to choose if they were going to answer a 1 pt. 2 pt. or 3 pt. question. If they got their question right then they got to shoot a basket. I had lines of masking tape on the floor for the 1 pt. 2 pt. and 3 pt. and they stood on the lines and shot a ball into the garbage can. If they made the basket they got the points. They loved that game! It was a fun, but tiring day!

It was a great week, but I'm ready to start another week! I only have like 5 weeks left of student teaching. Also in there is a week of Spring Break so only really like 4 weeks. It's a little crazy!

I have come to realize that I am a little naive. Students nowadays are exposed to a lot more than I ever was. It saddens me at times what students deal with these days. I have also come to realize that parents are extremely important in a child's life. You can tell which students have involved parents and which ones don't. I am learning a lot in this whole experience! More than just teaching...

No comments:

Post a Comment