Monday, April 26, 2010

Taste of Chinatown!

Scott came up a fun date for Friday night. He put together a food tour of Chinatown for us to do. He planned 4 different places where we would go and try a little of something to eat at each place.

The first place was not in Chinatown but on the outskirts. Scott's been wanting to go to Donut Plant, and I've been there once before so we decided to make that our first stop. They close as soon as they are out of donuts, so we went there quick after I got off of work. We got a strawberry cake donut and a crème brûlée donut. We ate the strawberry donut on the way to the next place, and saved the crème brûlée for later when we got home. Picture further down on this post.

The next place we went to was a dumpling place. Dumplings are the same as potstickers, gyoza, etc. As we were walking toward the little store there was a line out the door, so we knew we were at a great place - Prosperity Dumpling! They sell their dumplings 5 for a dollar, what a deal! We took the dumplings to a little park to eat, and they did not disappoint!After dumplings we went to a Chinese restaurant, Big Wing Wong! They had the meat roasting so you could see it walking in. Scott loves the meat you can get with crispy skin. This was our main course stop so Scott got pork and rice, and I got a pork lo mein. It was really good, and way too much food! Each entree was very cheap but we could have gotten away with getting just one meal. Here's a picture of the hanging meat:




When we got home we ate our crème brûlée donut. It was really good! It was a small donut because it's very rich, mmmm...


It was a really fun night! We'll have to have a taste of every neighborhood in New York before we leave. Food is a great way to experience each unique part of the city:)
Our last stop was for ice cream at Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. They had interesting flavors like Black Sesame Seed, Taro Root, Lychee, etc. Scott tried some of the unique ones but we played it safe with Scott getting Mango, and me getting Coconut. I loved the coconut! It was so creamy with chunks of coconut throughout. Here are some pictures of the store and us with our ice cream:

5 comments:

  1. I'm so hungry right now. A creme brûlée doughnut would be really good. I wish Doughnut Plant were closer. Actually, that would probably be a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been catching up on all of your posts, because we are headed to New York next week! I'm so terrified of the subway and the big crowds, but if you guys can do it, I can! I'm taking notes of all the fun things you do. Is China Town scary? It sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I want to take my one year old there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, don't worry you'll be fine! I am the biggest scaredy cat and I don't get scared too often anymore. It can be a shock when you first arrive. The subway is no big deal, and it is nice to be able to hop on and off where you want. You'll be fine bringing your son along with you. My friend Abbie, she commented above, rocks it with 2 kids in the city. She takes her kids to do so many fun things. Have fun on your trip! Let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete